Steinway defect

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:27:38 +0100

Hello,

I've find a similar defect on a Grotrian Steinweg grand, originally
from the factory.
Almost all the original tuning pins where pushing on the plate
(because of wear), and one was really so far that they simply drill a
large hole in the plate, insert a rounded pin block stock piece, and
"rebuild" a pseudo plate with epoxy and a good bunch of gold paint.
The repair was not really apparent, but , as I was to install new
pins/strings on that one, I had to drill all the plate holes (no
bushings) to obtain a normal fit of the new pins.

Some pins on this piano were not holding the pitch, in fact it was not
possible to settle the pins because of their contact with the plate
(before the repair ...).

The repaired pin was holding OK.

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG