Suggestions warmly welcomed..

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:04:50 -0600

ahem .... my 2 cents ...

They don't need you spreading bad news about them (like clueing in their
next tuner-sucker) and you don't need them badmouthing you. Suggest you
write a letter saying something like:

"Dear Mr. Weaselbladder:

I was grateful for the work you provided and enjoyed working with you. Since
I haven't been paid nor able to communicate with you ... I assume either
that you are having very severe financial problems or that I have offended
you in some way--in which case, I profoundly apologize.

Whatever it may be, can we get together for a chat in order to put things
right and continue to help each other grow our businesses? With hope that we
can, I will call you on Tuesday to arrange an appropriate time.

Sincerely,

Me."

Okay, that would be my approach. The call will tell you EVERYTHING.

This is the approach I used with my own local store. It didn't work in my
case but it was not about him owing me money, it was about him being an
idiot "tooning" pianos with a guitar tuner (needle type), lying to people in
his ignorance, and otherwise poisoning the piano business around here. He's
having a Giant Closeout Sale right now and quitting after Christmas.  My
motto: "It's okay to be stupid, but don't be proud of it."

The BEST advice anyone will give you here is this: Even if you never get a
dime, forgive the guy (write or call and tell him you forgive him) and move
on. DON'T let it stew in your mind, it will only make you physically ill and
reduce your future earnings. If he really HAS money troubles, he may come
around at some point. If he really IS a jerk, HE won't be letting your
problems worry him, anyway. Hard feelings are self consuming. Been there.
Got the souvenir T-shirt.

Best of luck.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO