Erard moving to Alabama

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:07:49 +0100

Hello,

there is absolutely no real problem with these dampers , spring driven.
In fact if necessary you can have all the damper tray out of the cavity in 5
minutes, then back , and the regulation and damping does not suffer at all
(if you are cautious)

There are spoon at the end of the key to action the bascule, easy to
regulate too.

But the stroke is very large, even larger on the bass than on the treble on
some models.

You should take care that the sustain pedal have a stop block somewhere, if
not, the part inside the piano that push on the damper to lift them is
brittle and can break easily if stressed.

Other things come to my mind, too much in fact !

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Wimblees@aol.com
  Envoye : mardi 12 novembre 2002 15:56
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: Erard moving to Alabama

  In a message dated 11/12/02 6:36:32 AM Central Standard Time,
algiers_piano@bellsouth.net writes:

    I'm wondering if there are any technicians in the Birmingham area
    with interest and experience in maintaining an Erard. I've got one
    going out there and I'd like to steer the owner to someone who wont
    throw up their hands at the under dampers....

  I'm presuming you mean Birmingham Alabama. I service that area. I have
never worked on "under dampers" of an Erard, but I welcome the challenge. At
least I won't throw up my hand. (my lunch, maybe). If anything, I can always
ask you for advice.

  Willem (Wim Blees) RPT
  University of Alabama.
  Tuscaloosa, AL.