Fire Damage/ Wim's questions

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:10:51 -0800

Wim,
question #1: The rain actually made the hammers more compliant and more
musical. Of course the hammers were surfaced and aligned to the strings. I
should say it was a light rain.
Question #2: As this occurred many years ago, when I had more time than
rebuilds, and some excellent "apprentices", that were eager to learn, this
re-whatever did not cost very much, except in time. If I were doing it
today, yes it would have cost around $3k.
Question #3: I think that I put the piano back in BETTER condition than it
was originally. Because it was a school piano, that had been purchased
"out-of-the-box", so to speak, it hadn't had a thorough prep/regulation,
etc. When I was finished it played, (and still does), marvelously.
Question #4: The reason my daughter has the piano,is that NO I could/would
not sell the instrument to any unsuspecting client. (I make it a policy NOT
to buy/sell pianos, that ain't my schtick!)(Yes, I have sold a few
"classics" over the years, but it is not the basis for my business!)
Question #5: No, I do not anticipate doing anything other than tuning it,
because as I said above, it plays just fine. Was it worth it? Yes. Would the
piano re-sell for what I had into it? I doubt it. I should tell you, also,
that for the period of time, where I was waiting for my Daughter, to quit
moving around like a Gypsy, I rented the piano for concerts in the park and
such. It proved to be excellent in it's performance and appearance. The only
thing that I may do at a later date, is replace the hammers with something
with a greater capacity for producing a wider spectrum of tonal color. Will
it ever be sold to the general public. Absolutely not! It is something my
Daughter cherishes and would never get rid of. My Granddaughter is learning
on it now.
I hope this answers your questions and gives some insight as to what can be
accomplished on a tight budget and honest work.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)