Newbie question: Are bridle straps necessary?

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:22:24 -0800

I thought they were needed to help the hammer return on a certain action
(the Wood & Brooks 90-degree inverted action - I think that's the one the
Potter course mentioned).  Maybe it helps on all of them.   About them
being there and making it troublesome to put the action back in the piano
-- I learned that lesson the hard way with my piano.  The bridle straps
were shot when I got it, and I pulled it in and out a few times and the
stickers got stuck behind the capstans. :(  Fortunately, though, I only
broke one (at the pin thing where it attaches to the sticker rail - that
little piece split out), but by carefully placing it a certain way, I was
still able to play the piano normally.  I have since gotten it repaired,
but now I got a few whippens to repair cause I was dumb and let something
heavy fall on the action.