Squeeky jack spring??!

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 22:22:51 -0800

At 11:48 PM 11/9/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Help! Please! I've a customer with a newer Kawaii grand with wood whippens
>and black plastic jacks. She has noticed (I confess I can barely, and
>never would have heard it) a slight rubbing sort of sound when a couple of
>keys are played very softly and slowly. Looks/sounds to me like sound
>occurs when jack is activated. I notice that jack spring on her piano goes
>into a hole in the jack which appears to be a looser fit than my older
>Kawaii with wooden jacks, I've tried a tiny drop of clp lube in spring
>hole on jack and on jack centerpin with no result. I'm pretty sure sound
>is coming from jack area, Anyone have a similar experience?! What do I
>do?  Thanks in advance for all advice!!   Jon

You've put powdered teflon on the knuckles, I take it? Have you tried
teflon powder on the drop leathers? The "slight rubbing sound" when the
notes are played very slowly sounds like grinding knuckles and/or drop
screw leathers. I've never had to tinker with the hole in the jack, but I
have sometimes found noise in the coil area of grand springs (not Kawai so
far ...) and in the slot on the underside of the rep lever. But the sound
of the spring jumping on impact is more a click than a grinding noise.

Susan