Chickering 1/4 Grand Action Rebuild

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:16:51 -0500

I have a customer with a 1906 Chickering Quarter Grand. He left a message saying he is ready to rebuild the action. I know these pianos have a lot of odd-ball characteristics - brass flanges, wippens angled to rail, etc. Can anyone state the very basic pitfalls of rebuilding these actions. I'm not asking for a full treatise here, just the ABCs of why the old Chickering actions are so troublesome. And, are part available, or does one need to rebuild the old wips, etc. Thanks.

Terry Farrell