Ellington piano

Frances Helms fhelmsf@netscape.net
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:23:20 -0500

Duaine,
1.  Ask the dealer of the shop to clear the area around and on the piano so that you can get a tuning hammer into play to find out whether it will hold a tune and get the serial #.  If you don't have a Pierce Piano Atlas, send the serial #, and we can try to pinpoint the date of manufacture.

2.  Compare the resale value of reconditioned upright pianos in your area with the amount you will have to invest in labor and materials in addition to the purchase price and expense of moving the piano.

3.  Check the action parts to see how brittle they appear to be watch the hammers as you play the piano to see whether they wobble sideways.  You want to know how much of the action you will have to replace and price those parts.

I'm a sucker for a nice old piano but I know very little about Ellington's.
Pierce does list the serial numbers though.

Unless reconditioned uprights are selling for a lot more than they do in my area, if you have to replace a lot of action parts due to brittle wood or dry rot, it may not be worth it.
Good luck,
Fran Helms