Boogie string breaker

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:40:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Mike Kurta
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 2:17 PM
To: PTG List
Subject: Boogie string breaker

    Esteemed Colleagues:

    A local dealer has asked this question:  He has a customer with a
1986 Yamaha U1 studio piano.  Ever since the piano was new, bichord bass
strings have been breaking on a regular basis, now about every sixth
time it's played.  This problem was addressed under warranty by
replacing all the bass strings, but it still occurs, even today.  The
player admits to being very vigorous.  The strings break between the pin
and pressure bar, leaving a 1 inch

stub.  Hammers?  Regulation?  Strings?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.....

    Mike Kurta

            Mike,

            Do you mean the V bar ?

            I'll bet this is the lower row of tuning pins right?

            The P202 or its predecessors had this problem. The angle
from the bottom of the coil to the pressure bar was too acute and the V
bar itself was quite rough on those models, causing the lower row of
notes to break. I haven't seen this on the U1's but I would check the
angle of the string---perhaps the tuning pins where driven in too far.
If indeed this is a "nut behind the wheel" problem you could increase
lettoff, and maybe shorten blow distance to decrease power to the
strings or dope slap this guy and explain the consequences of his
technique.

            Tom Driscoll