Drop

Bradley M. Snook bradley@rice.edu
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:26:29 -0600

Ed, thank you for such a detailed response; it was so good that I printed it
out for my further reference. I think that I am starting to get a much
better understanding of the properties surrounding the drop screw
adjustment, but now I need to try a few things out on all 88 keys.

However, the few things that I did try out today seemed provide some amazing
insight. I think that I may have been approaching drop regulation from the
wrong standpoint. One of the main things that I noticed was that adjusting
the drop controlled the duration of the key under resistance of the
repetition spring: a lower drop is under this tension for a longer duration.
The good part of this, especially with tighter repetition springs, is that
the spring can start the return of the key at a much quicker pace, allowing
the key return to keep up more quickly with the pianists fingers and convey
a more connected feeling in the keys.

Bradley M. Snook