Drop

Bradley M. Snook bradley@rice.edu
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:22:09 -0600

> I'd take Susan Kline's suggestion and ask a pianist (or become one
> yourself).

That is a good suggestion, and it is something that I do all the time. In
fact my wife is a concert pianist, and as a general rule, we talk all the
time. My experience with her and other concert level pianist is that they
simply compensate for whatever is in front of them; most of them really
don't know what they want because they have not constantly experienced
highly maintained pianos. Now someone like Horowitz, a pianist who often
traveled with his own piano and piano technician, understood much more
clearly what he wanted out of his piano. The reality is that most concert
pianist today have very little of this understanding.

Bradley M. Snook