action ratios

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 22:49:37 +0100

Stéphane Collin wrote:

> Hi Richard. Thanks for taking time.But ...
>
>      Ok... this of course changes the situation as
>      you've moved up a bit in general on SW's and
>      you've got this big bulbous bulge in the
>      middle.  C-3 and C-2 are in the top part of the
>      low SW zone, then C-1 goes up all the way to top
>      medium (+) and C0 is way the heck up there, and
>      the curve finishes off just over the dividing
>      line between the high and medium zones. Assuming
>      this data  and the ratio you gave is correct,
>      you have like two different pianos :)... the
>      bass is set up with low SW's an a low ratio, and
>      the rest of the piano set up with high SW's and
>      a low ratio.  I would think that would be pretty
>      noticible in both play and sound really. Again,
>      I would definatly even out this situation before
>      getting into any needling.
>
> I will even out the situation.  But still, evenness was
> not the problem.  I wonder if evening out the SW will cure
> my real musical problem of dynamic linearity between P and
> mF.  Don't think so.

No... it probably wont cure that particular problem. I guess
I just like to start off with an even playing field before
breaking out the needles.

>      I think it would be best for you to get a
>      reliable measuring device like the Stanwood kit,
>      or make something youself, as it's very
>      important to get dependable data. And it would
>      be fun to get a better sense of how this
>      instrument is set up.
>
> That is sure.  I will.  But still, do you think those very
> numbers tell the whole story ?

No.. by all means. The amount of mass, and the balance is of
course only one part of the story. And as all other things
relative to our work we strive for eveness and consistancy,
and it is my opinion that its especially important to
provide exactly this evenenss and consistancy in hammer mass
and key balancing. A regulation, which we all know must
provide as close to "perfect" touch as we can make it will
change with the first useage, and change more with the
climate and passage of time. We have to time and time again
balance to begin with provides a more even starting point
for touch and voice, and once its installed it stays very
stable.

I have to scratch my head at some of the very fine
technicians I know who are so very very concerned (and
rightly so) about the most precise of voicing and regulation
proceedures... but simply brush off the value of such
eveness in weight and balance.....especially when its so
easy to provide, so stable, and (if desired) so very
adjustable at the flick of a switch so to speak.

>      Cheers
>      RicB
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stéphane Collin.

Good luck with your project then !  And let us know how it
all comes out.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.