Virus Source

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sat, 02 Nov 2002 23:45:36 -0800

At 08:54 PM 11/2/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >I think I found the Virus source, that infected my machine and is continuing
> >to "attack" my machine. Everytime I log on to the Starlink Pianotech Chat
> >line, my firewall alarm goes off. It seems to be coming from the same
> >source, EVERY TIME! I've tried to contact the Starlink Security, but can't
> >get through. Any one know how to navigate this and get them on to the
> >intruder?

I can't remember where I got this idea, but I think that mIRC is set up
to try to ping a number of times as soon as someone enters, to be sure
that the entering machine isn't susceptible to hacking. I think I read
that this was necessary because so many people were abusing mIRC, and
using the program to spam chatters and gain entry to their machines.

So when I hear a number of "dings" on entering Starlink, I just have
been assuming that mIRC is doing its job. If you find out differently,
please give us the information about what's really going on. (I use
ZoneAlarm).