Isaac, is this you ? (was : action ratios)

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:14:40 +0100

Hello Isaac.

Did I read well ? Were you publicly insulting me ? I don't quite understand.  You used to help me and enlight my darkness before.  So what's the problem ?

You force me to defend myself.

One thing you stated is true : I am a hobbyist.  And I love my hobby and do all I can to do it the best I can.  And there is not one day when I don't try and learn some more, because I do this with passion.  Just because I am not professionnal, I permit myself to experiment a lot on my instruments, like redoing the whole action up to three times, until I am satisfied with it.  And yes I have lots of things left to learn (like in depth mastering of Stanwood metrology), and I find the PTG list a very useful source of knowledge.

But when you say :

"you are deteriorating these instruments, then you sell them, and some real tech will possibly be called by your customer once to regulate , tune and voice the poor thing."

you are unfair.  You never saw any of my instruments, neither heard one.  I suggest you to check your informations before you do (on a technicians list) such an outrageous statement.  However, if you happen to be interested in checking the (at least) musical quality of instruments I did restore, you can do so (if this doesn't interest you, well, just keep on insulting me on basis of bla bla bla, but shame on you).
Here is how.
My last customer is a very well known top level worldwide performing pianist.  He actually lives in Paris, and I am sure you must have tuned and prepared for him.  So next time you encounter him, ask him what he thinks about my so called poor things.  You'll recognize him on the pictures (token when he came here to chose his second instrument) at this link : http://fr.be.msnusers.com/Bechsteinlovers (just look for the last added pictures).
Another of my instruments was chosen  for recording session by another very good pianist, who happens to be also a (belgian) leading piano technician (at least, from this one you can't suppose he doesn't understand anything about technical issues in pianos).  This guy made trials on a new Hamburg Steinway D, a new Yamaha C7, and one of my pre-1900 Bechstein pianos, in order to choose the piano that most suited his (fantastic) playing.  He chose the latter.  You can get a sample MP3 file of his recording to hear what kind of poor thing this piano is.  Simply ask me.  (For fun only, anyone is welcome asking me for that sample, it just takes three mails of 950K and the .exe file, when run, will make the playable MP3 file of approximately 3 M.)

So, Isaac, when you are done with checking all this, I will appreciate some apologies for your rude behavior.  Else, indeed, I will seriously start thinking about sparing my respect for some more suitable gentleman.

Best regards,

Stéphane Collin.