pin tightener

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:31:26 -0600

> Not all pin tighteners are the same.
>
> Read the following article:
> http://www.player-care.com/pintite.html
>
> Scott Jackson
> Jurjens Pianos
> Wollongong Australia

The use of tuning pin tightener is OK under most circumstances.
But, for example, it may not work right if oil has gotten on the
pins Only two brands are worth considering.
The use of any brands other than Garfields and Lundsford's may not
give desired results.   The use of CA for TPT is new and reports
are favorable.
Most cases against tightener are against slop artists and cheap
imitations or not following instructions.  You must lay the piano
over.  For Garfields plan on a second application.  Wait 5 days
though.   I have never (since 1972) had a piano it didn't work.
This was in San Francisco.  Climate such as New Orleans might
present different problems.   I have used it once here in South
Dakota on a modern multilaminate block and had so so first results
and will be checking back soon.  Garfields is supposed to be
tighter after the first two months and then tighter after the
first year.