action ratios

Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:16:59 -0800

Just to clarify my position on this a bit, I haven't yet encountered an
action where low ratios below 5.5 didn't create regulation compromises that
I found undesirable, and there it was pushing it.  I hesitate to state a
general law because there may be other factors of which I am not aware.  I
was surprised to hear David S. comment that he achieved 10 mm dip 44.5 blow
with an action that measured 5.0.  That has given me some pause but doesn't
change my own experience.  I have found it difficult to get a consistent
measurement depending on the method used and it is difficult to set up the
action with only a .01 margin of error, so I  reserve judgment.  For now,
however, I shoot for 5.75, if it drifts down a little bit in my setting the
cap line, for example, I don't lose any sleep over it.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 01, 2002 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: action ratios

Bill Ballard wrote:

> At 7:06 PM +0100 11/1/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
> >So I understand this to say that a piano with a 5.3 ratio will
> >necessarily have
> >insufficient jack escapment at 10 mm dip and 44 mm blow ?... just
> >trying to get
> >to what all this boils down to.
>
> That sounded right to me when David first described it.

Are you saying then ( I noted that David refrained from going so far)
that the combination of 5.3 ratio, 10mm dip, and 44 mm blow will
result in an insuficient jack escapment at 1.5 to 2 mm let off,
regardless of how well all other action parameters are aligned ?

This is close onto what I asked a couple three weeks back if you
remember.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.