denatured alcohol

lbeach@sfu.ca lbeach@sfu.ca
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:40:24 PST

Jim alerted me to an error I had made in a previous post regarding denatured
alcohol.  When I worked in a chemical lab 10 years ago 2 types of ethanol,
95% and 99% were available.  The 95% was distilled from water, and the 99%
was distilled from benzene.  That part is still true.  Where I goofed up on
was calling 99% denatured.  The 99% is still unfit to drink because it
contains benzene, however, it is called absolute alcohol, not denatured.
Jim, I plead guilty, and will submit to my punishment to 20 lashes with a
wet noodle.

Denatured alcohol is the 95% stuff to which a poisonous solvent has been
added to make it undrinkable.

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver BC
Canada