Negative FAC numbers

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 29 May 2002 11:45:00 -0900 (PDT)

I have found that the only time I get negative stretch numbers when I
measure the F, A, & C  is when I have accidentally left the SAT in
memory mode, not noticing that there was already  a number in the right
window while the left window is on F5. Sure, I did that several times
until I caught on to what was going on.

As someone else has already suggested, you can get a clearer reading on
the 8th partial of F3 by plucking the string between the strike point and
the V-bar or Agraffe. If you resort to this, you should also pluck the
string while checking it at F5 as well as at F6 settings. The reason for
this is that plucking imparts less energy to the string and the frequency
is less at lower amplitudes. If you set the F3 at F5 by playing and then
you pluck the F3 when set at F6, the relationship of the partials is not
a fair comparison.

Jim Coleman, Sr.