June Journal and FW's

Wed, 29 May 2002 13:51:13 -0700

Interesting to hear the opposition to the Stanwood camp on assist springs.
I tend to agree.  I will say that I don't use assist springs as part of an
action design.  However, I can see how one might use them on an existing
action with weight problems when you don't want to change the hammers or
existing geometry, or to achieve an unusual result.  For example, I have a
customer who has problems with her hands.  She wanted a balance weight down
around 26 grams.  Definitely non standard.  The piano is a S&S D with
Steinway hammers.  The options were to turn the hammers into q-tips, move
the capstan and end up with 1/2" key dip, fill the keys with lead, or add an
assist spring.  I opted for the assist spring.  Though this is an extreme
example, similar situations can arise in which that solution may be the best
alternative.  Under ordinary circumstances, however, I have had only
compliments on evenness since I began to employ the BW method of doing a
weigh-off.  Minor variations in the FW seem largely imperceptible even to
the most sensitive pianists.

The other issue is one of design versus execution.  It is one thing if a
piano has a bad design that needs improving.  It is another if the piano has
a good design which is just poorly executed.   Steinway pianos fall
frequently into the later category.  I think it is a good design that runs
into problems with poor execution, namely, inconsistent capstan placement
and mismatched hammer weights for varying action ratios.  I think that
before one starts monkeying with changing the characteristics of a
successful design, one should be sure that the outcome is in fact what the
customer wants.  This can be said about other things besides action design,
for example, scaling.  Moreover, I think the customer should be made aware
if a design change deviates considerably from standard for that manufacturer
and you should have the customer sign that they agree to such a change.  I
have recently been called upon to undo two such changes (original work not
performed by me) because the result was not what the customer expected, nor
liked.

Immersing ourselves in design technology it is easy to lose sight of what
attracted a customer to a piano to begin with, and to start to make
wholesale changes without regard to their tastes and desires.  Not that we
shouldn't be asking questions and looking for improvement.  But we can also
become arrogant and overconfident in new found knowledge and it can get us
into trouble.

David Love