SAT and K&C

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 08:15:36 -0600

Hi Terry,
Next time you find one of those wild critters, try quickly seating at the
termination point of that string. If that does not change the results
favorably, use your pliers to squeeze the shoulder of the hammer. If that
makes a change it is a voicing problem related either to the hammer, the
bridge or wire guage. IMHO

You know you are on the level when your bubble is in the middle<G>

Leveling strings on an upright is important only in that the hammer impacts
all strings of the unison at the same time. Unless of course you have one of
those raries that transpose by shifting the action.
And if you should be so unfortunate to have an action where all the hammers
travel slightly due to improper action to plate design, then all is not
well, POS!
Lots of things to look for.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: SAT and K&C

> Every once in a while I would get a bum number with my SAT - one that just
made no sense. My suggestion is throw that number out, insert a reasonable
number, and see how the tuning sounds. Then add or subtract DOB as needed.

> I don't know what it means, but I have certainly seen such readings.
>
> Terry Farrell

what it means.  I'd be interested in knowing.  FWIW, on a vertical, in small
print, I write the FAC numbers on the hammer moldings or on the sides of the
hammers if its a nice new piano, and on grands, I record the numbers to the
right of the tuning pins on the plate with a fine point marker pen.  The
music desk covers these small numerals when in place, and it eliminates
measuring the numbers next time I come to tune.  They change ever so
slightly, or not at all on the same piano.  Will look for you all in
Chicago.......Mike Kurta  ----- Original Message -----

damper problems I was struck by one thing. When doing the FAC on my SAT III
(too many initials I know), the F reading came out -2.2 cents. I was
expecting maybe +18. First time I've seen a negative reading. I did the
pitch raise (25 c) with that calculated tuning and then did a pickier pass
by ear and it came out fine. But I was curious if anyone else gets negative
inharmonicity readings on cheap pianos and what it might mean.....