Writing on Pianos, was: SAT and K&C

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 09:08:49 -0400

FWIW, just MHO, I would suggest reconsidering writing on someone's piano. I do understand that most people never remove the music desk, and most never open the piano top. But some do.........

Just like most folks won't think anything of it if you lean up against their new car...........but some will rip your eyes out if you do (corvette owners, for example).

I love wood and have done a lot of varnishing in the past. Before I got into this business, I bought a new S&S 1098. One of the things that attracted me to the piano was a great interior smell and the nicely finished woodwork (pinblock and top of frame) inside the piano. Then the tuner from the store came and did our free tuning. When he was done, he whips out his little PTG tuning record sticker and was just about to slap it on my $14,000 pinblock. Lucky for him I yelled just before it went on. I may be the only one with this opinion, but I'm kinda like the Corvette owner that likes to open the hood of his car and show off the engine - or just to stare at its magnificence all by himself. If I had to look at my mechanics timing data written on my polished chrome valve cover........well, lets just say he would be installing new valve covers real quick. Pinblocks and plates are more difficult to replace than a valve cover.

I realize there are few that would ever notice stickers or writing on their piano.......but the few that do might just bite first rather than growl. I think writing on the piano is a leap toward its demise, IMHO. Writing on a hammer or keystick in an inconspicuous spot maybe OK. On the case or anywhere else I can think of, no way.

Just my 2 cents worth (or worthless?)

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Kurta" <mkurta@adelphia.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: SAT and K&C

SAT and K&CHi Dave:
I too, have seen an occasional negative FAC number, and I also don't know what it means.  I'd be interested in knowing.  FWIW, on a vertical, in small print, I write the FAC numbers on the hammer moldings or on the sides of the hammers if its a nice new piano, and on grands, I record the numbers to the right of the tuning pins on the plate with a fine point marker pen.  The music desk covers these small numerals when in place, and it eliminates measuring the numbers next time I come to tune.  They change ever so slightly, or not at all on the same piano.  Will look for you all in Chicago.......Mike Kurta