June Journal and FW's

Wed, 29 May 2002 00:13:18 -0700

I don't like to use assist springs for more than about 9 - 10 grams of BW,
or the effective weight of the wippen.  I don't like the wippen to be lifted
too much.  Just floating is as far as I like to go.  At 15 grams I find that
I don't like the feel of the action.  Interesting in view of a few comments
recently about the old rocker arm capstans that seem to exhibit better
performance in part by virtue of their "connectedness" to the key.  Wippens
without an assist spring already have a disconnect, as it were.  With an
assist spring that is pulling the wippen up against the drop screw, there is
even greater disconnect.

I am aware of the anecdotal testimonies of those who swear by the recent
craze of monster hammers assisted by highly tensioned wippen springs and
relatively low front weights.  I can report anecdotal information which
argues against this approach by two pianists recently.  Neither report, of
course, constitutes proof.  But I personally think that the best use of
assist springs is to compensate for uneven BW when a perfectly smooth FW
curve is desired.  They can also be used when one prefers the higher SWR's
of the past (for regulation reasons maybe) but doesn't want to be bound to a
super light hammer.  Then the spring can, and should, be used modestly.  A
highly tensioned spring to allow for monster hammers is not, in my opinion,
a desirable set up.  Of course, I don't believe a monster hammer is
desirable anyway.   After hearing several such set-ups recently, I am
totally unconvinced of the tonal benefits.  More tone, yes.  Better tone?
Not in my opinion.

David Love