Prices research

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Mon, 27 May 2002 13:41:52 +0200

>Dear List,
>
>I'm researching the relative costs for piano tuning worldwide.
>
>Please put your responses in your own currency, I'll do the conversions.
>
>Please outline
>1. Your basic tuning fee
>2. Hourly rate for repairs on-site
>3. Do you live in a major city, regional centre or rural area? Population?
>4. Which country do you live in?
>5. How much does a Big Mac cost there?

I just love this new approach to understanding international economics.... used to be some countries were on the Gold Standard, and a few attached their currencies to fixed rates agains the Dollar... a kind of dollar standard... Now in the high technology days of our young new Millenium a new standard appears to claify international finance....

The Big Mac Standard.... soon everyone everywhere will be paid not in currency units per hour... but in Big Mac Credits per hour, which can be traded in at any local bank for a small fee. :)

>6. How much does a base model Toyota Corolla cost? (Optional)

That one doesnt work well as so many countries have these ridiculously differing import policies. For example, a year 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee here costs about 85,000 US Dollars. That is unless you buy it without the two seats in the back in which case it costs more like 40,000 USD.  I think the cheapest Toyota here costs nearly twice what it costs in Sweden.

>The last two questions will give me some means of comparing living costs.
>

>Cheers from down under

That beer of yours still bubbling upside down ? :)

>Mark Bolsius
>Bolsius Piano Services
>Canberra Australia

Richard Brekne