Tunings stability problem

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 25 May 2002 21:18:45 +0200

Thank you Wim.

I'll try this next time I encounter a mortised pinblock in need of care.

Best regards,

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 8:08 PM
  Subject: Re: Tunings stability problem

  In a message dated 5/25/02 5:18:17 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
collin.s@skynet.be writes:=20

    Hello Wim.=20

    Can you tell more about the entire pin block epoxying procedure ? (I =
am interested by that).=20

    Regards,=20

    St=E9phane Collin=20
    (Bruxelles, Belgium)=20

  I did this on a 110 year old Weber grand with a mortised pin block, =
and it worked quite well. I shored up the bottom of the pin block, and =
pored a small amount of impact resin in each hole and then drove in a =
2/0 pin in each hole. (in some cases, I was able to just push the pin in =
with my fingers, because the holes had gotten so big). I used impact =
resin back them because that was what I was familiar with. There are now =
new epoxies that will do the same thing. You want a slow curing mixture, =
because it takes time to put in the pins. Impact resin gives you about =
10 minutes to work with. So obviously, I only did a small section at a =
time. In this case, the pin block also was delaminated, so in addition =
to filling the cracks, the resin also filled the gaps between the =
lamination. To tighten the gaps, I clamped the block with C claps in =
about four or five places.=20

  I let this sit for about 3 days. I removed the 2/0 pins, and then =
strung the piano with 3/0 pins. Some of the resin will come out on top =
of the block. So when yo're all done, you can chisel off some of the =
excess, but it will deface the top of the block. If you have an open =
face block, you probably would want to put a nice piece of veneer on the =
top of the block. All you need to do is dimple the holes. A tuning pin =
will drive right through the veneer.=20

  I did this about 12 years ago, and the piano is doing fine. There will =
be a little different feeling to the pins. They don't turn like they do =
in wood, but that is a problem only the tuner has to deal with. There is =
enough torque to hold the string.=20

  Hope this is enough information. If you need more, just ask.=20

  Wim=20