Tunings stability problem

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 May 2002 14:08:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/02 5:18:17 PM !!!First Boot!!!, collin.s@skynet.be=20
writes:

> Hello Wim.
> =20
> Can you tell more about the entire pin block epoxying procedure ? (I am=20
> interested by that).
> =20
> Regards,
> =20
> St=E9phane Collin
> (Bruxelles, Belgium)
> =20
>=20

I did this on a 110 year old Weber grand with a mortised pin block, and it=20
worked quite well. I shored up the bottom of the pin block, and pored a smal=
l=20
amount of impact resin in each hole and then drove in a 2/0 pin in each hole=
.=20
(in some cases, I was able to just push the pin in with my fingers, because=20
the holes had gotten so big). I used impact resin back them because that was=
=20
what I was familiar with. There are now new epoxies that will do the same=20
thing. You want a slow curing mixture, because it takes time to put in the=20
pins. Impact resin gives you about 10 minutes to work with. So obviously, I=20
only did a small section at a time. In this case, the pin block also was=20
delaminated, so in addition to filling the cracks, the resin also filled the=
=20
gaps between the lamination. To tighten the gaps, I clamped the block with C=
=20
claps in about four or five places.=20

I let this sit for about 3 days. I removed the 2/0 pins, and then strung the=
=20
piano with 3/0 pins. Some of the resin will come out on top of the block. So=
=20
when yo're all done, you can chisel off some of the excess, but it will=20
deface the top of the block. If you have an open face block, you probably=20
would want to put a nice piece of veneer on the top of the block. All you=20
need to do is dimple the holes. A tuning pin will drive right through the=20
veneer.=20

I did this about 12 years ago, and the piano is doing fine. There will be a=20
little different feeling to the pins. They don't turn like they do in wood,=20
but that is a problem only the tuner has to deal with. There is enough torqu=
e=20
to hold the string.=20

Hope this is enough information. If you need more, just ask.=20

Wim=20