Slight change of plans - broke headphones - need new pair (Re: brands...strings...hammers)

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Fri, 24 May 2002 20:17:26 +0000

I'm still planning to get the strings sometime soon, but I may postpone
the hammers.  I broke my 3-year-old $50 headphones the other day, and I
am now looking into getting a new pair.  Do you guys have any
recommendations?  (Here's a copy & paste from something I posted on a
message board:)

"What would be some good headphones in the $50 to $100 range? (I may be
willing to spend up to $150, btw.) I would like 40mm or larger drivers,
high sensitivity (so I can plug them into a source, and almost drive
them like speakers, as opposed to cranking the volume up all the way on
my ears and not quite being loud enough (although my Sony CD360s were
plenty loud on my ear...)), at least 10Hz to 25KHz response (down to
5Hz would be great so I have a good bass), closed cup design, a cord at
least 8 feet long, etc... A couple brands I'm considering are
Sennheiser and Sony (specific Sony models I'm considering are
MDR-CD380, MDR-CD580, MDR-V300, MDR-V500DJ, MDR-V600, MDR-V700DJ). Can
you guys make any recommendations on a good set of headphones?"

As for the strings, I'm not yet sure what tuning pins or plain wire I'd
go for, but I'm strongly leaning toward Arledge bass strings.
--
  Stephen Airy
  stephenairy@fastmail.fm

--