Retirement of a fork

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Fri, 24 May 2002 19:11:25 -0400 (EDT)

  I recall getting paranoid about my fork before
my exam. Checking at the acutuner display I
was appalled to learn it was 2.5 cents flat.
Promptly purchased a new one, finding it .8 cents off.
Reporting to the supplier's table they offered their
best big $50 heavy fork. To acutuner I ran
discovering it was 4.5 cents flat.

  So I learned to adjust forks and calibrated my
collection. Learned to be aware of fork temperature
and resulting pitch variation. For years they served
me well. From time to time I would drop one, or they
would rust out. For whatever reason every time I would
 check them against a machine they had changed
somewhat, requiring tweaking of pitch.

These last 3 years I use an cheap Sieko device that
can buzz pitches. $5 garage sale item. Checked it's A
with acutuner and tunelab on various occasions and it
stops the lights.

  It does not wear out the old teeth, does not
fluctuate in pitch with temperature, does not require
3 hands, has not required tweaking of pitch
calibration, and is not expensive.

 Based on my experience I propose that we can maintain
a more consistent standard with greater ease, and
therefore a higher standard with a cheap electronic A
then with a fork.

  PS. I still carry a fork, as it does not require
batteries.
Also Continue to experiment with tunelab these
last couple months. Nice tool.

                      Dave Renaud
                      RPT