Tunings stability problem

Ronald Ochs ronspianoservice@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:43:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I've been fighting a Steinway L 1954 for the past 3
months. It was donated to a church recently. I did a
quick tuning on it a few weeks after delivery and it
responded as well as any piano would after it has been
moved. In the past month individuals strings have been
seriously dropping in pitch, mostly in the mid to
upper treble. As I checked pin tightness they were
very loose. So I shimmed the offenders with sandpaper.
It seems that every other week I am finding new pins
that need attention. I realize a piano is going to
have some stability issues after a move, but that
severe? What do you think is the best coarse of action
for this piano?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron Ochs