trichords unisons

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 05:46:46 -0700

    Benny,=20
    You've gotten a lot of good suggestions, let me add one thought =
here. When I was at your level of learning, (And the learning never =
ends, does it?), I was running into the same problems, and couldn't =
figure out what was happening. Since then I have learned that a lot of =
what I was hearing at the time weren't just tuning issues. I didn't know =
much about leveling strings (Yeah, you can do it on uprights, too) =
string seating, etc. Some of this you can get rid of, but not by =
"tuning" them away, no matter how hard you try. You might want to think =
about this for a while, a see if it turns out to be true for you.=20
    As Jim Coleman, Sr. once said, "The secret to unison tuning is =
(sometimes) knowing when to quit.=20

    You've got the right attitude towards your profession, keep trying =
to do the best you can do.=20

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Benny L. Tucker=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 7:52 PM
  Subject: trichords unisons

  Hi list,
      I've been going crazy lately, "most folks think I'm already =
there",
  trying to get my unisons perfect! I've read a lot in the archives =
about
  unison tuning, and I get plenty of practice everyday at the plant.
      I'm just trying to evaluate my own tuning standards. I don't think =
I'm
  incompetent, but maybe.
      Problem: 3 years now tuning at the Yamaha factory, 2 years =
moonlighting
  on my own after work, and yet I still can't set a "perfect unison" =
without
  taking considerable time.
      I would think my unisons would pass the RPT unison test, but I've =
never
  been satisfied with meeting minimum standards. To put it another way, =
I love
  this profession dearly, and yes, I want to be better than average.
      I may be looking at this wrong, but to me a perfect unison should =
not
  have ANY rolling of ANY partial for the duration of the sound. Is this =
  much to ask for, or is this the way most of you folks normally tune?
      On home and Church tunings, I mostly just try to get the unisons =
as
  clean as I can for as long as possible before the higher partials =
start to
  slow roll.
  I can do the perfect unisons, but for me that means striking the key, =
and
  waiting, and waiting , and waiting for the slow roll then move the =
hammer
  "more like add or release pressure", while pounding, then when I think =
I've
  got it right let it ring and wait, and wait and wait etc. You get the
  picture.
  At my level of experience, it could take me several hours to get each =
and
  every unison "completely beatless".
      What is the accepted standard, if there is one. How do you define =
the
  perfect and/or the acceptable unison.
      FWIW, I have absolutely no trouble with the bass or the high =
treble,
  it's that dang tenor section. It seems like the better I get, the more =
I can
  hear, the worse I actually tune.
      Comments anyone?

  Benny L. Tucker