Repost: Help! My capstans are too short!

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 07:40:30 -0400

At 10:11 PM 5/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 5/28/02 8:10:46 PM, Bigeartb@AOL.COM writes:
>
><< I also wonder if it
>is possible for the wippen spoons may be fouling up the regulation after the
>installation of new damper flanges and dampers. >>
>
>If this were the case, it wouldn't affect the top octave, which is
>damperless.  The lost motion is the same across the keyboard.
>
>I did check today to see if the action was mounted firmly on the mounts and
>sadly it was.  The hammer line appeared to be exactly where it belonged, so
>I'm fairly certain the action is in the proper position.  At this point, I
>think the keybed must have changed levels due to the repair of the leg.  Even
>if it's only 1/4" lower than it used to be that would do it.
>
>I'm considering adding a piece of wood to the top of the key and mounting the
>existing capstans on top of that.  That would extend the back end of the key
>vertically to eliminate the lost motion, but I wonder what would else it do
>to the feel of the piano?
>
>Tom Sivak

Ron's solution is the most expedient. Shim the back rail and balance rail
to compensate. Simple and easy.

Installing blocks on the backs of the keys is very labor intensive and cost
prohibitive for this piano.

Do yourself a favor and take the express route.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com