No manuals

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 07:28:44 -0400

Newton,

Knowing how to "operate" a piano, as you state, is not the same as
knowing how to care for one, and I certainly wouldn't equate money with
intelligence, as you stated.  I'm guessing most of us could tell stories
about how uninformed new piano owners often are.

Has it really been your experience that every new piano owner you've met
knows instinctively how often the piano should be tuned, info about tone
and regulation, how to clean the keys and care for the case, where the
piano should not be located, humidity control, what those two other
pedals do, etc.?  I haven't found that to be the case.

I am sometimes surprised at how ignorant even some piano teachers are
about their instruments.  I'm not going to start a crusade about owner's
manuals, but without doubt they should be included, in my opinion.

Regards,
Clyde