Substance on the flange for pinblock fitting

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 May 2002 12:19:22 EDT

davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> What is everyone's substance of choice for painting on the flange for
> pinblock fitting.  I've used carpenters chalk mixed with water and graphite
> powder mixed with alcohol, but would really like to find something that
> transfers better.
>
> David Love

David

I use that Blue Carpenter's chalk, but I have never mixed it with water. I
just rub it on the flange, and the powder will transfer nicely to the block
with a sharp blow. If you have difficulty with the fitting, you might need to
rub some more chalk on the flange, but one application is usually enough.

I don't use this on Steinway grands, however. The graphite that's on there is
enough for any pin block fitting.

Wim