Recrowning the soundboard,something different

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 25 May 2002 10:12:11 -0500

>As Ron and Del pointed out in the recent thread about a curve cut into the
>bridge
>prior to installing that the bridge does not support crown, it is too
flexible.

Not only too flexible, but at least as important by my observations -
whether the bridge is crowned or not, it is not a straight beam like a rib.
It's curved, and won't support weight the length of it's span like a
straight beam. It merely rotates.

>Perhaps the improvements were a result of the new strings and hammer work.
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician

Somehow, this is only rarely considered as a possibility. Nor does anyone
ever seem to actually check the condition of these recrowned boards next
year to see if any of that re-installed crown is still there.
Ron N