Tuning Gone Bad

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:00:07 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/02 6:36:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> This is the first time I have ever had a call like this. I'm sure others
> have. What is your normal course of action/policy. Do you tell the customer
> while on the phone that you will be charging them for the trip, etc.?
> Thanks.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

You have gotten some good responses on this. I agree with Phil that you
shouldn't charge for the service call. I also agree with Don that it might be
good idea to have the piano player there.

There are several things to consider.
1. If piano player has been the same one over the last 3 years, you've
"educated" her/him on what an in tune piano is supposed to sound like, and
now she/he has become more critical, and wants the piano to be in tune all
the time. Perhaps you need to recommend that the piano gets tuned more often.

2. If it is a new piano player, perhaps she/he is more critical than previous
players. Again, as in 1, more frequent tunings are needed
3. Slight changes in temperature and humidity can cause the piano to go out
of tune, thus, as has been suggested, educating the pianist and pastor about
those things might help in the future.
4. It might not be a tuning problem at all. If could be a sympathetic noise
somewhere, that sounds like a tuning problem. That is why it is a good idea
to have the pianist there.
5. No matter what the problem is, I think you should tell the pastor that
this time you were willing to come out for free, but that future return calls
will be charged. You don't want to leave yourself open to coming back every
three or four weeks to "touch up the tuning," for nothing. That could go on
forever.

Wim