Stieff upright

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 12:42:44 -0700

At 08:54 AM 5/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:

> [...]

(I did -- I bought a 1906 B&L, probably weighs 750 pounds. Large backposts
veneered on three sides with birdseye maple. I took a mirror and a
flashlight and looked at the fourth side: clear one-piece maple. The music
desk assembly weighs 38 pounds. Holds the house down in a gale.)

Some of my other upright favorites are Packard, early Ivers & Pond, AB
Chase, Vose, and early Hardman; and from Canada, Nordheimer, early
Heintzman, and Bell. Besides the obvious. Some of the old Chickerings were
serious machines, though they sometimes have non-standard parts. Victor,
but that's just another name for Bush & Lane.

Susan