Bass strings

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 18:46:57 -0700

Hazen,  Question!  Which strings were dead? Single wound, double wound, =
bichord, unichord?

Pick the exposed wire at the agraffe or bridge end with a guitar pick =
and compare sound of the better ones and the bad ones.  Then add =
additional twists on the bad ones to see if it improves.  You did twist =
at installation, didn't you?  This may or  may not help, but it will =
tell you if it's the string.  I had a 7 ft grand with lousy new bass =
strings.  Putting three full turns on the bad one did wonders.

Let us know

.Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com=20

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: HazenBannister@cs.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 6:12 PM
  Subject: Bass strings

  Hi list=20
  I went and put the bass strings on the U1 today,that I posted about =
last week.I backed-off the pin a half turn,removed the old strings,and =
used the coil maker (thanks Joe and others),and slid the new string =
right on.I think I'll use this method from now on,instead of backing the =
pin out 2 1/2 turns and twisting the new string on,I feel better about =
not backing the pin out that far.I ordered the bass strings from =
Mapes,and am not totally pleased with them.Some of the new strings sound =
tubby,almost dead.I checked the winding,everything looks good,but the =
sound is bad.=20
  Thanks again,=20
  Hazen Bannister=20