A IE 6.0 patch ooops

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 20 May 2002 02:16:23 -0500

"| A jpeg is a lossy graphic file format ...........The best
advice is to use a
| very simple email program like Eudora which does not "pre
open" attachements."

Ooops.....
I meant to send this directly to the sender, instead "the
cat" hit send button before I put that name in place of
pianotech.    If it bounced back,  then the  "from address"
is fake. It didn't  and I haven't gotten a reply so I still
don't know what the jpg is, as in depict.  ; )
    I was trying to do a little sluthing regarding four
emails showing up on the list with suspicious attachments
and from unknown (to me at least) sources.    The one with
the subject line beginning with "talcum......"  caused the
dial-up connection window to pop up.   Did this happen to
anybody else?  Of course I have the "connect automatically"
box unchecked.   Dear old Microsoft still a few steps away
from ease of comprehension, a box should read "NEVER connect
automatically" and a few million users would not have their
computers sending out stuff automatically without their
knowledge.
    If there could be log of everything that goes out the
modem, I bet a few million eyes would open esp those who
think they are safe by running anything other than
Microsoft.
    While "automatic opening" is an issue, it is actually an
option but since it is default many assume it can't be
turned off.   Perhaps because software engineers with six
years of intense college, "intuitive interaction" would or
could never occur to them, (or if so, maybe they end up
programming games).  Actually trying to turn off the auto
open "feature" is like the old adventure games....." you are
facing a task bar, there are six choices.........Finally we
find the "options" selection is buried under a totally
un-intuitive title in the task bar, (View) and then another
worse for intuition we try, "Layout",  then a totally
clueless choice must be made which is to UNcheck "show
preview pane".
    In a similar vain I used to wonder why with all the
sopnisticated computers ISPs have, why they can't detect or
at least filter suspicious attachments and headers.  Then I
found out they can,  when I got an email from a server at
ASU saying they had intercepted an email from me that had
the so and so virus in it and I should up date my AV
software.  Two weeks ago my  isp installed detection sw and
four times now I have been notified infected email was
intercepted.  Before I used to take the precaution of right
clicking the attachment to see if it contained .exe and then
hit "preview"  if I was suspicious.  But now I am glad my
isp has taken up a front line of defense for me.   I am
wondering if such software exists for mailing lists, or
servers of mailing lists?
    While the mystery posts to the list in the last few days
were not malicious, unless jpgs can contain worms, trojan
horses or macros,   they were not in our interest and
intrusive at least, esp being from unidentified or unknown
members.  So far I have not gotten an infected email from
this list.  But I urge looking into detection at the server
end and if it is costly I am sure we can all chip in.  Like
a couple of bucks per member or a nickle or dime a post, or
10 dollars per attachment. ---ric