[Fwd: customer relations]

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Fri, 17 May 2002 15:05:23 -0500

Thanks for your input, Greg,and Ron.    My choise of words was from
frustration, not
because I think my work is substandard !!!!

Always thought my strong suit was P.R. Saying that maybe I wasn't a good
enough
tech. for him was a sarcastic thought. I will most likely tell him that
I wasn't
happy with the results of our last meeting, and I would rather not do
business
with him.Spent considerable amt. of time trying to educate him before he
decided what
to do and told me to go ahead. This kind of negotiating has been done
hundreds of times by me, and have had very few problems. Most people
have been referred to me, so they go with my assessment of the
situation.

I had invested a whole days work on this instrument, so I wasn't about
to eat
this job, just because of this fellows demands. If we let that happen,
where
would we be. Each time a customer wanted to get a free job , he would
just
complain till we gave up. There are techs. who beat customers , but
there are
customers who try to ripoff techs., by negotiating for free work.
I have a good friend in the instrument service business who says that he
has no
freebees. People are always calling, looking for free information so
they can
try to do their own repairs.

Take your car to an auto dealership and see where you get with that.

I had of course outlined what I would do for this fellow for the price
he was
willing to pay, but when it was finished , he found that he wanted more,
for the
same price.

It's like tuning a piano somewhere other than A440, because customer
isn't
willing to pay for pitch correction.  Although it would be OK to correct
pitch
if we didn't charge for same.
>From earlier postings, I've read that some techs. don't think you should tune
flat, for instance, but why would we do the extra work if the customer
probably
won't tune for another 5 years. Years ago I was present when Jim Coleman
expounded on this subject. His opinion was that this piano wasn't his
problem,
but the customers. ( Can't imagine "him" having this kind of customer.)
In hind site, I probably should have refused this work, because I had a
bad
feeling about this fellow, and mentioned it to my wife at the time. Hind
site of
course is 20/20.

Appreciate remarks by other techs. who may have had similar problems.

Carl/ Winnipeg/Canada.