Touchweight Metrology Question

Thu, 16 May 2002 19:57:10 -0700

Terry:

Well they didn't exactly get the balance rail right did they?  The sharps
have a different KR than the naturals and thus the SWR varies considerably.
You will have to decide where to compromise or to have a varied capstan line
to get even SWR.  A move of the capstan of 2-3 mm toward the balance rail on
the sharps will drop the SWR by about the right amount if you want to go
that route ( you should check this by experimentation).

It appears that you generally have quite a bit of room to add lead.  For
example:  Remember that 1 g added to the FW reduces the BW by 1 g.  So on
note 28, with a BW of 48.5 adding 10 g to the FW would still leave you under
the FWC.   On note 52 adding 18 g to the FW would still leave you below your
FWT.

If the hammers are untapered, then you could easily remove 1 g +  from the
SW by simple tapering and tailing.  I don't think that would have a negative
effect on tone.

The biggest problem is what to do with the different SWR between sharps and
naturals.  Given the limited budget, I would probably use the naturals as a
guide and let the sharps fall where they fall.  For example, on note 53, if
you reduce the SW by .5 g, you will reduce the BW to approx 54g.  To achieve
a 38 g BW you would need to ad 16 g to the FW which would put you at 24,
just below your FWC.  Assuming that is a representative sample, that
naturals around there would be well under the FWC.  Moving the capstan line
on the sharps is not that big a deal.  Thirty-two capstans wouldn't take
that long assuming there is room under the heal to accommodate the move
without refelting.

If you are not going to move the capstans, I would follow this procedure.
Calculate the SW curve based on a BW of 38 - 40 g (your choice), an R of 6.0
and use the FWC in the equation.  That will give you the maximum SW for the
sharps to keep the FW at maximum.  Then take some samples SWs and see if
that is achievable in terms of tapering and tailing without having to remove
too much weight from the hammers.  If that requires too much reduction in
the SW, then either allow the FW to go over max for the sharps, or push up
the BW until you get the compromise you want.  Take off each hammer and
shape to get the SW curve, check the pinning and replace.  Then use the BW
method of setting the leads in the keys.  I think that will give you a good
result.

If your average SWR is 5.5 on the naturals, you should not have a problem
with regulation.

David Love