- Slipping Eye on bass string

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 16 May 2002 07:29:34 +0100

At 9:45 am -0300 15/5/02, John Ross wrote:

| The reason I asked about the pre-eyed wire, is, I had known of two string
| makers, no longer in business, who did. I was wondering, if it was a common
| practise.

Only among stringmakers who plan to go out of business, perhaps!

| Is the reason, the strings lie so straight, because of the tension, put on
| them, by the stringing macine?

No.  The wire is passed through a straightener before the eye is made -- though I talked to a German string maker at Frankfurt recently and he uses wire in 5 kg. coils and doesn't bother straightening.  I like to work with very straight wire; it makes the job much easier both for the maker and the customer.

JD