- Slipping Eye on bass string

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 15 May 2002 09:45:21 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 5:55 PM
Subject: Re:- Slipping Eye on bass string

> | Do most string makers buy the core wire with the eye already on the
wire?

> I've never heard of any stringmaker buying in eyed up wire.

The reason I asked about the pre-eyed wire, is, I had known of two string
makers, no longer in business, who did. I was wondering, if it was a common
practise.
Is the reason, the strings lie so straight, because of the tension, put on
them, by the stringing macine?

I thank all, who replied to this query.  It means, as I suspected, the
stringmakers excuse was wrong. But, he did supply. the 6 replacement strings
for free.

Regards,

 John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.