Hexagonal Shanks/Cunningham Pianos Question

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 13 May 2002 23:01:08 +0000

Hi Joe,
          The tapered shanks increase the whip lash effect, and the hammers
gets off the strings faster, allowing better harmonic development and less
noise.

Makes a big tonal difference to me.

regards Roger

At 07:06 PM 5/13/02 -0700, you wrote:
>With all due respect, back atcha!
>In my original post, I stated that I had done tests that showed me that the
>Hexagonal shanks do change the tone. This tone change was in the direction I
>didn't like. It is my personal opinion that the maximum wall for volume of
>pianos has been reached. Even though, our population is getting deafer and
>the noise levels are increasing, the only thing that can be added to the
>Piano is a brassier, harsher tone. IMO, this is were the current consensus
>of "improvements" by the manufacturers is wrong. They somehow equate Loud,
>Shrill, Clanky, Jangely, etc., with carrying power and it is my opinion that
>this just aint so.  So, I LIKE ROUND SHANKS! Besides the Hexagonal shanks
>have more mass/weight than round. The one thing that, almost everyone is
>talking about, is reducing mass and increasing playability. The Hexagonal
>shanks are just one cog in the wheel, IMHO. I hope this answers your
>question of why.
>Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Roger Jolly