double flange action replacement

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 00:49:44 -0400

At 6:07 AM +0200 5/13/02, Rani wrote:
>Wippens are broken so that the spoons are turning despite of a lot of epoxy
>glue.
>
>Anyway it's a question of buying all the action parts to the original action
>or fitting in a S&S K action or Renner action.

Your parts definitely need to be tossed. Look for Towika at your
nearest dealer. In the U.S. there are at least three supply co's that
I can buy from. I'm currently putting new doubles and damper levers
on this 1883 Steinway F. Twenty years ago, I put a Pratt Read (U-10,
as I remember, from the box containing the additional brackets)
vertical action into a Steinway K piano.

Frank Stopa, then plant manager at Pratt Read gave me a blueprint
with the  identifying details inked out, something I gather intended
for a Sohmer vertical. I ordered the full set of parts (although not
packaged by them as a kit.) To get the original horizontal distance
of the keyboard's balance point (key fulcrum) to the strike point, I
had to move the keybed out 1/4". I also made a set of profiles to
place the whippen lift point where the dowel capstans wanted to pick
them up. It sure dropped the balance weight.

I'd check out your rails. If they're good, then order Tokiwa parts
for them. If not, then you've already been through a custom Renner
action design. Just assume that whatever leverage concerns you may
have, your experience should be able to take care of.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
     ............mental graffitti