U1 bass strings

Sun, 12 May 2002 22:34:48 +0200

HazenBannister@cs.com wrote:

> Hi list,
>  Friday I went to service a yamaha U1,which had 4 broke bass
> strings.It had about 10 or 12 tied strings (not textbook ties
> either),and I could tell there were several other new strings as
> well.I told the church,that in order for me to take their account,I
> would want to get rid of that mess,and start over.I called yamaha,and
> they referred me to mapes,and agreed with my decision,and I ordered a
> set of bass strings for this piano,1976 model.I am wondering what is
> the best way to do this.I restring pianos in my shop,and put on
> universals all the time.But I wonder if it's best for stability to
> start at A0 and go one at a time,or stagger them maybe,the pins feel
> good in the piano,so I'm not concerned with them being a
> problem.Also,I know we don't talk about price fixing,and I'm NOT going
> in this direction at all.But I would like some different BALLPARK
> prices,or help in what kind of ordeal I'm in store for ,as for as
> time-wise in getting stability back fast,return trips,et! c....
> Thanks much,
> Hazen Bannister

In this situation (replacing just bass strings) I personally like to do
one note at a time. Stretching strings a bit as I go along. I like to
have a coil maker on hand too so as to avoid turning out the tuning pins
3-4 turns, but I know many dont seem to worry about that so much. I have
no trouble doing this kind of replacement job on location.

As far as price is concerned. I always try and figure how many hours I
should take to get a job done, equate that to my service rate and charge
them that.  If I feel a bit er... relaxed on the day of the job and take
a bit more time then I should, then I dont let that affect the price...
same thing goes for my speedo days. I like to take the "mean" rate so to
speak. :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.