U1 bass strings

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 16:08:49 -0400

Hi Hazen:
    I can't give you any advice on labor charges, but I'd use the time =
studies available and multiply by your hourly shop rate.  In stabilizing =
quickly, I'd install all the strings at once, and immediately pull them =
up one semitone higher than where they should be.  Go back in a couple =
of days, see where they are, treat them as a standard pitch raise =
(overpull by 1/3 of the flatness cents), tune, then check again in a few =
days,   and repeat the process.  This should have resulted in near =
normal characteristics for the bass strings.  This should be able to be =
accomplished within 1-2 weeks.   Mike Kurta...
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: HazenBannister@cs.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2002 3:32 PM
  Subject: U1 bass strings

  Hi list,=20
   Friday I went to service a yamaha U1,which had 4 broke bass =
strings.It had about 10 or 12 tied strings (not textbook ties =
either),and I could tell there were several other new strings as well.I =
told the church,that in order for me to take their account,I would want =
to get rid of that mess,and start over.I called yamaha,and they referred =
me to mapes,and agreed with my decision,and I ordered a set of bass =
strings for this piano,1976 model.I am wondering what is the best way to =
do this.I restring pianos in my shop,and put on universals all the =
time.But I wonder if it's best for stability to start at A0 and go one =
at a time,or stagger them maybe,the pins feel good in the piano,so I'm =
not concerned with them being a problem.Also,I know we don't talk about =
price fixing,and I'm NOT going in this direction at all.But I would like =
some different BALLPARK prices,or help in what kind of ordeal I'm in =
store for ,as for as time-wise in getting stability back fast,return =
trips,! et! c....=20
  Thanks much,=20
  Hazen Bannister=20