U1 bass strings

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 15:32:40 EDT

Hi list,
  Friday I went to service a yamaha U1,which had 4 broke bass strings.It had
about 10 or 12 tied strings (not textbook ties either),and I could tell there
were several other new strings as well.I told the church,that in order for me
to take their account,I would want to get rid of that mess,and start over.I
called yamaha,and they referred me to mapes,and agreed with my decision,and I
ordered a set of bass strings for this piano,1976 model.I am wondering what
is the best way to do this.I restring pianos in my shop,and put on universals
all the time.But I wonder if it's best for stability to start at A0 and go
one at a time,or stagger them maybe,the pins feel good in the piano,so I'm
not concerned with them being a problem.Also,I know we don't talk about price
fixing,and I'm NOT going in this direction at all.But I would like some
different BALLPARK prices,or help in what kind of ordeal I'm in store for ,as
for as time-wise in getting stability back fast,return trips,etc....
Thanks much,
Hazen Bannister