Rebuild contract

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 10:00:20 -0400

At 12:22 PM -0500 5/11/02, Mark Ultsch wrote:
>I'm wondering if folks have developed such a contract that they can
>share.  Do you feel a contract is
>important if both parties have a really trusting professional relationship?

This is what I use (see accompanying .pdfs). The estimates proposals,
and contracts are worked up but a linked pair of databases. The EST
database has all materials plus individual chunks of my labor as
individual records, and summary data, both text and numeric ($) are
forwarded to the PROP database, in which each job is a separate
record. (Actually, these documents could be formatted within the EST
file, completely independently of the record structure.)

The The proposal goes out. Soon thereafter the owner and I have a
conversation in which the major pieces of work or given the green
red/light, options are folded into their respective pieces of work.
Then the contract goes out. If the start date I have in mind is too
many months into the future I will ink it into the contract on the
signature page; otherwise, no start date is mentioned on the
assumption that it will follow soon enough not cause a problem with
price increases.

This is certainly more professional than contracts I signed with
building contractors. Also, theirs usually lay out the work in its
barest form ("Oh, you mean you want that siding nailed to the side of
the house, instead of nails on the bottom course with the
tounge&groove holding things in place above that?"), with the
assumption that all the details in repair work which come up in the
middle of the job are above and beyond the contracted work, AND well
after the point where there is any choice about whose contract you'll
choose, and on the basis of what prices.

I've never had any of the sort difficulty for which a contract would
have saved my butt. So currently its main value is the professional
appearance (a help with the time-studied cost of my work....No, the
figures appearing in the .pdfs do not represent actual prices).

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math
+++++++++++++++++++++
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ESTContract.pdf