1969 Steinway L CBS?

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 11 May 2002 20:03:29 -0400

In a message dated Sat, 11 May 2002  7:03:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Donald Flagge" <donalda@operamail.com> writes:

>"As a technician who works on a lot of Steinways I find it amazing that we can not even discuss the problems at Steinway without it being called condemnation or bashing."
>

>This is a laugh. As an accomplished pianist who has with interest watched this list for several years now I can only say that I have never heard so much anti Steinway propoganda anywhere else. There has been little "discussion" and very much slander from where I stand.

May I ask you if you are a piano technician?  Have you worked on Steinways and if so how many?  Have you dealt with Steinway in New York buying parts or getting technical help?  I for one have never been slanderous toward Steinway, I have at times been critical as a technician who works on hundreds of Steinways.  I believe I have been much more positive about Steinways in general than negative.  From an accomplished pianist I can see where you come from, Steinways are in general magnificant pianos but to say in general that the criticisms on this list are slanderous is simply not true.

>In fact, of late it seems that just about anytime someone raises the call for quality in nearly any context, the same boisterous loudmouths start shouting in self righteous indignant manner.

I'm not sure what you mean by this could you explain?  It seems to me that anytime anyone raises the call for quality the worshipers start shouting in self righteousness.

>I am truly greatfull for the many fine technicians who provide their weighed opinions on so many issues. But I sorely wish some of the less accomplished subscribers would at least attempt to guise their lack of experience. Might I suggest in fact something resembling common politeness ?

Are you sure you are on the same list as I am?  Many of the people critical of some of the Steinway problems are some of the top technicians around with years of experience.  Are you qualified to judge the accomplishments of this lists subscribers?  It seems to me you might take some of your own suggestions.

>Rant pants off. I return to my quiet lurking.
>
>Don

David Koelzer
DFW