1969 Steinway L CBS?

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 11 May 2002 23:10:02 +0200

Wahoo Terry ! :

Hand fitted pin block will change the plate location ?

On what pianos ?

When capstan lines are to be moved this is mainly to change the leverage
because the hammers  that one want to use are too heavy to lend to an
acceptable Balance Weight (DW+UW /2) ?

Don't look too far. Capstan may be a little out of right line because of
play in the machine used to guide the parts while drilled.

The angled whippen may be replaced with a vertical one too.

Rant :

It is wonderful on this forum, that is enough to write a lot about all and
everything to became an experienced person. ( Someone with such intensive
experience !)

I personally work in this trade for long enough to begin to understand that
I am at last a little experienced.
But this have come by a long road, as for anyone, and of course to make it
short it is mostly an education question. Something that we can't find in
books or on a forum, even if all the material is probably there yet.

And I don't believe no more in the self  training (but for tuning, and there
we need someone to play the instrument). Learning by ourselves only is a BIG
loss of time, even if of course we are always alone in our process of
amelioration.

End of Rant.

Got nothing personally against you , Terry (since I've read that you almost
burned your elector's card) , but as you show so much enthusiasm, and
express strong general opinions , then, if I remember correctly you are just
beginning with some luck to produce a decent work since a few, so restrain a
bit yourself as for generalities.

I am an hypersensitive kind of guy, my primal source of information around
me is sound, then, touch, and then only look. I am actually very grateful to
Andre to show me how hammers are to be treated to produce a fine tone,
eventually even on not so good instruments. This and a few important
Principe's in regulation, have made my life very pleasing recently. Even on
worn pianos, screwed hammers, far than ideal situation, having learn to work
with a good procedure makes things a lot easier.

You can work for years and be happy with your work, and put the fault to the
piano, but if you are frustrated on so many instruments, as I've been, you
may ask yourself why.

Generally, the most frustration when in front of a new piano come from the
precedent tech, that apply incorrect methods, sometime hurting the
instrument more than necessary, so think about it, how do you leave these
'problematic pianos' ?

You are lucky in the US that there are some very high level techs and that
they are willing to show you what they know, or part of it. The learning
process is well probably way faster than in our traditional old fashioned
Europe (when I was young technician, some old techs just stopped working if
you came in their room) . So I would say that you may learn with them, and
not loose your time believing that things are at hand.

My best

Isaac OLEG