Just Intervals?

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Fri, 10 May 2002 11:40:40 -0700

Yeh, things are too easily misunderstood. I did not intend to say that
cellists couldn't tune thirds, that was not the point. Generally everyone
tunes from the cello upwards, in other words, the rest of the group adjusts
to whatever the cellist is doing. Inversions have nothing to do with playing
thirds; everyone is still adjusting to the bass. A cellists "job" generally
does not involve tuning thirds, that is something that is generally left to
the 2nd violin or the viola.

Since I really don't like the Juilliard String Quartet, I don't keep track
of them so much. They do have personnel changes, but they are not really
permanent, nor are they really that young.

Susan, I was using Sound Forge 5 (it is recording software). It has a
feature that finds the average of a selected sample, but you can also select
a single millisecond for analysis. Vibrato is not such a huge problem: it is
not sooooooo wide. Yes, results are given in frequencies. By all means, find
another way to measure those just interval, but if you do you will need to
talk yourself out of that data as well! "The evidence is out there," but you
don't seem to like it for whatever reason.

SUSAN, you really must learn what just intervals are. Just intervals are the
starting point: they always have, and they always will. Stop talking about
movements from tempered intervals (that really speaks of nothing). Things
have changed since you finished your schooling. Standards are much higher,
and there is now an emphasis on excellent intonation.

We are obviously part of different musical generations; at least I can say
that what I do is part of current performance practices.

Bradley M. Snook